You can activate your evaluations and subscriptions. You can also synchronize your licenses.
Device registration details
To see the device registration details and the status of the licenses, go to Administration > Licensing.
The firewall fetches the following registration details from your Sophos Licensing Portal account:
- Model number and the device key.
- Company name with which you've registered the firewall.
- Contact person in your organization.
- Email address used to register the firewall.
The modules show as Unsubscribed when you set up the firewall for the first time. See FAQs for registration.
If Sophos Firewall is connected to the internet, the firewall synchronizes with the Sophos Licensing Portal every 24 hours, and licenses are updated automatically.
You can click Synchronize to synchronize the licenses manually for the latest subscriptions.
Activating license keys
You can activate paid and trial licenses.
To activate paid subscriptions, do as follows:
- Go to Administration > Licensing.
- Under Device registration details, click Activate subscription.
- Enter the license key you received from Sophos.
- Click Verify key.
- After the key is verified, click Confirm.
- Click Synchronize to synchronize the firewall with the licensing system.
The firewall updates the subscriptions list.
See the video Registration and basic setup.
To activate trial subscriptions, do as follows:
- Go to Administration > Licensing.
Click Activate evaluations.
Sign in with your Sophos ID appears.
Sign in using your MySophos credentials.
The pop-up window shows the license details immediately if you're already signed in using a normal browser session.
- You must use the MySophos credentials related to the firewall you're activating. Otherwise, an error will occur.
- If you're using incognito mode in your browser, minimize the pop-up window after signing in so that the session remains active, then click Activate evaluations again in the web admin console. If you close the incognito session, you may be prompted to sign in again.
Select the modules that you want to evaluate.
- Click Confirm.
- Click Initiate license synchronization.
The licensing page on the firewall shows the status Evaluating for the module.
See the video Licensing, trials, and license keys.
Module subscription details
You can subscribe to the license modules as follows:
- With a license key (paid subscription).
- Without a license key for a 30-day trial (free subscription).
If you want to evaluate a module again later, you can activate its evaluation in the next major version.
Example: If you had evaluated Zero-day protection in version 18.5 but didn't buy it, you can activate its evaluation again in 19.0.
You can see the status of the subscriptions and their expiration date. Statuses can be one of the following:
- Not subscribed
The following license bundles are available for XGS and XG Series firewalls:
|Xstream Appliance Bundle||Standard Appliance Bundle|
|Base License||Base License|
|Xstream protection ||Standard protection |
Individual licenses and firewall features
You can also subscribe to individual licenses. The licenses deliver the following features:
- Base License: Stateful Firewall, VPN, Wireless.
- Network Protection: Intrusion Prevention (IPS), Advanced Threat Protection (ATP), SD-RED Device Management, Security Heartbeat.
- Web Protection: Web Security and Control, Application control, including Synchronized Application Control, Web Malware Protection.
- Zero-day protection: Machine Learning, Sandboxing File Analysis, Threat Intelligence.
- Central Orchestration: SD-WAN VPN Orchestration, CFR Advanced.
- Email Protection: Anti-spam, Antivirus, DLP, Encryption, Email Malware Protection.
- Webserver Protection: Web Application Firewall.
For Support subscriptions, see Support scope and communication methods.
Licenses for high-availability cluster
Active-passive HA: You must activate the licenses on the device you've configured as the initial primary. Don't activate them on the auxiliary device. The cluster uses the licenses of the primary device.
Active-active HA: Both Sophos Firewall devices need the licenses. The licenses must be the same for both devices. See HA licensing FAQs.