Server Update Management Policy
By default, we update Sophos products on your servers automatically.
The Update Management policy lets you control when product updates become available on your network. This ensures that your computers don't start updating until a time that suits you.
The policy also lets you suspend updating for an extended period. You can do this by selecting our custom "software packages".
Whichever option you choose, you always get automatic updates to protect against new threats. Your policy only controls updating of product features.
To set up a policy, do as follows:
- Go to Server Protection > Policies
- Create an Update Management policy. See Create or Edit a Policy.
- Open the policy's Settings tab and configure the policy as described below. Make sure the policy is turned on.
Enable Scheduled Updates and select the day and time when you want product updates to become available.
The time is local to each server. For example, if you select 9 PM, each server will get the update at 9 PM local time for the server. This means that servers in different time zones will not get the update at the same time.
Remember that if servers aren't on, they won't get the update until the next time they start.
We sometimes update your servers immediately even if you've set up scheduled updates. We may update your servers automatically as follows:
If you change your license or your license changes.
For example, if you apply an Intercept X for Server with XDR license to an account that had Intercept X Advanced for Server, we install XDR features on servers.
If you change the software assigned to a server.
For example, if you assign a Device Encryption license to a server running Intercept X Advanced for Server, we install the new software immediately.
If you're compliant with the Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP), you'll only see our Fixed term support and Long term support packages.
Software packages let you remain on the same version of our products for a set time.
If you apply a software package, you don't get automatic updates. When the package expires, you must select another.
You still get security updates to protect against new threats. Your policy only controls updating of product features.
We offer the following package types:
- Recommended: This package is automatically updated to give you our latest protection. It never expires.
- Fixed term support: This package gives you the protection available on the release date, plus updates against new threats. It expires 120 days after the release date (or at least 30 days after the next release to allow for testing).
Long term support: This package gives you the protection available on the release date, plus updates against new threats. It expires 18 months after the release date.
Only use this package type on servers you can't update regularly.
Special: Special packages fix specific issues. You can only get them from Sophos support.
- EAP: Sophos Early Access Program. Devices in an EAP ignore any other software package you've assigned to them until the EAP ends.
Select a package
You select software packages in the Windows drop-down menu. For package information, click Details of packages.
You don't need to turn on scheduled updates to use this option.
To view and manage your packages, go to Global Settings > Administration > Software packages.